Since 1997, Health Connect has been helping families and healthcare professionals with their health questions!
Through a community needs assessment work on the organization began in 1995 as a joint project of the Junior League of Sioux Falls and the Children’s Miracle Network. The doors opened for the Children’s Medical Library in 1997 at its initial location of Siouxland Libraries’ Ronning Branch. In 1998, executive director, Fran Rice, was appointed.
In 1999, Health Connect brought to South Dakota the Health House, an interactive touchscreen kiosk full of health and safety information for all ages. This hands-on health information source has been to many community health fairs and events. Several of the Health House programs are translated into Spanish.
The second community needs assessment was completed in 2000. Information obtained from the survey initiated the change of name from Children’s Medical Library to Health Connect of South Dakota. This name transition was completed in 2004.
2004 was a big year for the organization with the name changing to Health Connect of South Dakota and moving to rented space in Volunteers of America, Dakotas headquarters in the 1309 building on 51st Street in Sioux Falls.
In 2007, Health Connect became the fiscal agent for the Sioux Empire Tobacco Free Coalition. This is a role still currently maintained by Health Connect.
Health Connect moved to its first non-shared office space at west 10th Street in 2009. The location helped build the recognition of Health Connect and the services provided.
July 2012, Health Connect moved to its current location of Suite 213B in 8th & Railroad Center (401 E. 8th Street) in downtown Sioux Falls.